Locksmiths are probably best known for their key-cutting services. These professionals are capable of making high-quality duplicate keys for everything from cars and trucks to houses and office buildings. What many people don’t know, however, is that they also provide a lot of other services. The list below outlines six of the most popular locksmith services besides key duplication:
- Lockout services. At one point or another, it happens to everyone. You are rushing out the door, trying to get somewhere in a hurry. As the door swings shut behind you, you realize at the last moment that your keys are still inside. Frantically, you turn around and try the doorknob only to find that it is locked. In situations like these, locksmiths can help you get back inside. They can open locked vehicles or doors without the need for the original key.
- Repairing broken locks. Sometimes, locks simply stop working. Thanks to their special training, locksmiths can often disassemble and repair broken locks rather than having to replace them. Another way that they can help us by removing pieces of broken keys from inside of locks. Repair services like these are an affordable alternative to replacing the lock or handle altogether.
- Rekeying or replacing locks. There are a lot of situations where rekeying your existing locks or installing new locks make sense. For instance, if you move into a new home, replacing all of the locks is a good idea since the previous owner may have handed out spare keys to people that you don’t know. Locksmiths can either rekey or replace the locks on your doors, helping to create a more secure environment.
- Installing or repairing window locks. When it comes to home security, the windows on your home are usually one of the weakest points. This is especially true if they are not equipped with adequate locks. Locksmiths can help you create a more secure home by installing high-quality locks on all of your windows or repairing the existing locks so that they provide better protection.
- Installing safes. Safes are commonly used to store valuable items. They also are sometimes used to keep potentially dangerous items out of the hands of children. For instance, some people use them to lock away guns or prescription drugs. If you want a high-quality safe that is practically impenetrable, reaching out to a local locksmith is a good option. They can not only help you choose a safe that is appropriate for your needs but they can ensure that it is properly installed.
- Helping with home security systems. Some locksmiths offer electronic security systems to their customers. You may need to check with several different companies before you find one that offers this particular service. Once you do, however, the locksmith will come to your home and help you design and install an electronic security system that protects your property from outside threats.
These are six of the most popular locksmith services besides key duplication. Locksmiths can handle just about any lock-related problems or issues that arise. Most providers are available 24 hours a day, which is beneficial in situations where you have locked yourself out of your home or car outside of regular business hours.
If you find yourself in need of services like these, call around to a few different companies for quotes. The rates charged by different locksmiths can be quite variable, meaning that you could save money on the services simply by shopping around.
Don’t forget to check customer reviews, as well, before agreeing to hire a locksmith. That way, you can be sure that they are trustworthy and that they will do a good job.